A busy, high-level, professional’s job is never done from eyes open to eyes shut, let alone if said professional is a socialite and/or has a business of their own to run. With this lifestyle comes appearances, charities, balls, trips, etc., of which the perfect look and attire are needed for each occasion. A lady’s maid and laundress are wonderful assets to a household to assist in these matters.
A lady’s maid is the female peer of the gentlemen’s valet and serves as a personal maid to the lady of the house. Traditional and modern responsibilities of a lady’s maid include:
- Personal shopping and styling advice including assistance with make-up, hair, clothing, jewelry, and shoes
- Care of wardrobe including cleaning, pressing, mending, altering, cataloging location of clothing items and rotation of wardrobe pieces by season
- Packing and unpacking of suitcase during times of travel
- Cleaning and organizing the woman’s private quarters of the home
- Scheduling and/or providing beauty and spa treatments
- Serving breakfast in bed and drawing baths
These tasks require a certain level of discretion, etiquette, and experience. Desirable requirements of a lady’s maid include:
- 3+ years in a similar role
- Education in fashion, whether through a degree or previous experience
- Knowledge of specialized cleaning, care, and repair of all fabrics
- Advanced knowledge of luxury brands and access to those brands at a moment’s notice
- Knowledge of beauty and spa treatments and fitness regimens
In addition to the above, fluency in numerous languages is a bonus to assist with communication while traveling abroad.
To complement a lady’s maid, you may also consider hiring a laundress.
While a lady’s maid specifically assists the woman of the house, a laundress specializes in the care of all clothing and linens for the entire household. A laundress will:
- Wash, iron, repair, alter clothing and provide fittings for members of the household
- Maintain inventories of all household linens including bedding, clothing, and towels
- Organize wardrobes complementing the current season for each member of the household
- Prepare garments for dry cleaners and catalog items that are dropped off and pick up immediately as they become available
- Assist with packing luggage and assuring all garments are clean and available for an upcoming trip
The requirements The Wellington Agency looks for in a laundress include:
- Prior experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with luxury clothing care, green detergent products, and laundering equipment
- Care knowledge of various fabrics including how to hand wash, remove stains, organize, and store specific pieces of clothing
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
An addition of a lady’s maid and/or laundress, whether it be for part-time or full-time help, is a necessity to any large estate or busy household. The Wellington Agency will ensure a candidate is chosen that matches your needs in regards to etiquette, culture, and any specialties you have in mind.